Thursday, May 24, 2007

Missed Opportunities

The disc golf theme this month is missed opportunities. Earlier this month I shot a 63 to tie for first (after one round) at the King's Cup only to follow it up with a 67, 69, and 73 (to finish 5th, I think).

Today I shot 8 birdies from the short tees at Buckhorn, and was putting to go to -7 at 16. Unfortunately, I three putted and then put an approach in the water on 17. Still a good round (51), but I had an opportunity to break my personal best.

I guess the King's Cup wasn't really a missed opportunity so much as a bad idea. By half way through the second round, various aches and pains were beating me up, and I just wanted to get off the course. I slept poorly and woke up not feeling great for day two. I really need to not play in two day tournaments, especially on long courses. I'm not sure what possessed me to sign up for four rounds from the pro tees...I pretty much did what I always do on those sorts of tournies--started out well and then lost gas and eventually interest as something I normally do for fun (play DG) turned into a grind. I think I would have been better off just playing the doubles and the first day of the tourny. (Since I don't need points because I don't want/need to qualify for anything and am not playing in the money anyway, I'm not sure why I didn't just play day one).

Buckhorn was irritating. I definitely left some strokes on the course that made the difference between a great round and my personal best. Ah well, that's golf.

No comments: