Thursday, August 28, 2008

September Christmas

My friend Darren Hughes once described the day the Toronto Film Festival Out of Town Package arrives as a second Christmas. That's true enough, and it combines the hope and optimism of a new sports season as well. All the films will be great, and you get to make lists not see what you got.

It's a time of anxiety, though, too. Will the package get here? (Mine was late and I had to go to work, meaning it was sitting at home as I was teaching and I had to pore over the catalog to get my picks in so that I could FedEx my requests right back.)

Then there is the mix of euphoria (what a new Kore-eda that I hadn't realized would be playing!) followed by despair (Barbet Schroeder joins Paul Schrader and Agnes Varda as people whose new films I will miss as they play after I've left to get back to my real job.)

Then there is the anxiety of juggling as you realize that, oh, say, the Dorsky short films are playing at the same time as the new Linklater and the new Reichardt and the new Denis. Sheesh, I can practically hear Ursula the sea witch in the back of my head cackling with glee, "Life's full of tough choices, innit?"

With the help of the catalog before me, the schedule book map and the online guide (as well as an MS-Word Table to sort), I've managed to make my selections. Now, I send it off and hope and pray I get all my choices (or at least certain key ones that can't be juggled because they are only playing once while I'm there like, oh, say Lorna's Silence.)

Tentative Schedule

Friday

9:15-11:04

3 Monkeys

Scotia Bank 4

12:00-2:02

Sky Crawlers

Scotia Bank 1

4:00-5:30

Apron Strings

Scotia Bank 2

6:30-8:10

35 Rhums

Scotia Bank3

Saturday

12:30-1:53

Sauna

Scotia Bank 4

4:00-5:47

Me and Orson Welles

AMC 3

6:00-7:30

Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist

Ryerson

Sunday

10:00-11:27

Examined Life

AMC 9

12:45-2:05

Wendy and Lucy

Scotia Bank2

3:15-5:02

Afterwards

Scotia Bank 2

6:00-7:45

Lorna’s Silence

Scotia Bank 1

9:15-10:30

Of Time and the City

AMC 6

Monday

9:15-11:09

Still Walking

Scotia Bank 1

12:15-2:15

Disgrace

Scotia Bank 1

3:30-5:35

Seraphine

Scotia Bank1

6:15-7:55

Terence Davies Trilogy

Varsity 3

9:00-10:37

At the Edge of the World

AMC 10

Tuesday

12:00-1:41

Two Legged Horse

Scotia Bank 4

3:00-4:45

More than a Game

AMC 6

6:30-8:00

La Pointe Courte

Jackman



Hey, I may not get the new Varda, but perhaps I can end my festival with a Varda introduced Varda retrospective.

Biggest disappointment: Well, missing the Schrader and Varda films, though I hope both get distribution as seems likely.

Hardest Cut: The Dorsky Wavelength session. Man those hour sessiosn at the Jackman just totally screw your schedule. And Friday night is an obscenity of riches.

Film I'm Most Likely to Miss Even If I Get All My Choices: Inevitably sleep deprivation, the need to write or eat or catch up with someone and network ends up costing you one or two films out of twenty. (I think I screened 18 last year): Afterwards, Sauna, or Apron Strings. They each look interesting but made the final cut as much for their proximity in time and location to something that was an anchor than for anything I knew about the film. Still, it's hard to pass up a film that is described as a cross between Tarkovsky and Eli Roth.

Film that Would Most Screw Up My Festival Experience if I Got Shut Out of--Lorna's Silence.

Actor I Would Most Like to Show up at a Q&A--I guess John Malkovich, since he's in two films that I'm screening.

Film I Would Be Least Disappointed to Get Shut Out of: Nick and Nora. I'm sure it will get disribution, and I was the only person in America who didn't like Juno. Still, got to have some lighter fare mixed in.

No comments: