Thursday, January 08, 2009

Doug Cummings on 2008

I read a fair number of film reviews, but I can probably count on one hand the number of critics whose judgments and reviews I respect as highly as my own. I love Doug's writing; I think his write-ups are an object lesson in the difference between sensitively and perceptively responding to a film and merely spouting an opinion about it.

I'm also encouraged by the number of films on his list that I haven't yet seen. It gives me hope that 2008 wasn't as bad as I thought--just that a couple of films escaped me for the time being. (I narrowly missed Birdsong and Hunger at TIFF and Take Out at the local theater.

Doug's list and my own shared one film in the top 10, Kelly Reichardt's Wendy and Lucy, and one film on our favorite discoveries, Taxi to the Dark Side.

No comments: