Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup 2010 Game 2: France 0, Uruguay 0


Not too many people know that my family lived in Uruguay for several years in the 1960s. I have no memory of it, being a newborn at the time. My brother went back for a visit awhile back and bought me a hat to commemorate. Here is a picture of me wearing my Uruguay hat while watching the game. Yeah, I know the bill is over my eyes, but I was trying to get the sun design in the photo.

I tried for several months to make this my "lucky hat" at disc golf tournaments, but it had no such luck in it. Neither, apparently, did it have any mojo against the French.

The game was pretty dull, actually, but I think both sides wanted a draw. That puts the pressure on Mexico, I think, since both France and Uruguay are capable of beating South Africa, which means they can play for a draw against Mexico and Mexico will need to play for a win against one of them. Then again, past history shows that can be risky as South Africa could pop in a goal against either side.

Honestly, I saw about 1/2 of the Uruguay-Argentina qualifier, and I'm not sure how this team ever scores.

I was driving to the store today, and I'm already sick of sycophantic Americans complaining about the World Cup. You know, I don't particularly like Nascar, so you know what I do? I don't watch it. You know what I don't do? Moan endlessly about how "boring" it is and how loud the crowds are.

Uruguay is one of only seven (I think) countries to have ever won a World Cup, actually having done it twice. I think the South American teams will be used to playing at difficult away venues, but for some reason I don't think they'll be much of a threat here. Strange being in Africa, you don't get the whole "a European team can't win in South American venue/a South American team can't win in Europe" issue. I think this year will be a lot like the NCAA basketball tournament...a lot of parity making games hard to call.

No comments: